As it happened, the crossing was straightforward: the water was rushing just below knee-height, and was so clear I was able to see my footing with ease. I thought he looked in better condition than me. Your access to this service has been limited. T he Cape Wrath Trail is the best long-distance hike in the UK. 2. Thankfully the injury wasn’t as serious as it felt at the time; after six weeks or so of rest I was back in the hills. Which is basically my plan. I started to wonder if I could bank a rest day by pressing on to Shiel Bridge. Deep down, I know I should have rested overnight at Sourlies. Wordfence is a security plugin installed on over 3 million WordPress sites. We have all done it. There’s really no shame at all in deciding it’s unsafe to proceed, even though the immediate feeling of failure can be all-consuming. I particularly admired your honesty and integrity. It’s not actually a trail though, but a route. I decided that I had to do it. The route is unmarked and there is no official line. I reached Lochan a’ Mhaim in good spirits, and paused to appreciate the gentle hiss of rainfall in the slate-grey water. Hi Andy I really enjoyed your account of the CWT. I tried the ultra lightweight Montrail Hardrock Mid boot, a very light and fast drying boot. Looking back over my experience, I think I can offer four pieces of advice to the would-be Cape Wrath Trailblazer. I'd read tons of trail descriptions and copied multiple ones to my kindle. I look forward to seeing you make it all the way. My yell of pain reverberated around the corrie, sank into the snow and died, unheard. Pack light. Hopefully I’ll be striding back towards the hills a little later in 2020. It combines footpaths, Land Rover tracks, pathless sections and varies in length. Here I felt truly alone: the path stretched on into a landscape of intimidating bleakness, with only the light trickle of a track-side burn to relieve the deep and unfamiliar silence. The short story I told in Trail’s September issue is simple: I hurt my left knee after falling on snow below the Forcan Ridge, having decided – madly – to try to complete two of my planned days in one. The Cape Wrath Trail travels up the west coast of Scotland, beginning in Fort William, and ending at Cape Wrath which is the northernmost point of Britain. That’s still better than taking the risk of a mountain rescue callout – or worse – because of the desire to push on even when body and mind are saying “enough!”. I paused to stab my trekking poles into the frozen lake at the high point, and slushy ice gushed out of the hole. Hope your knee has fully recovered. The owner of this site is using Wordfence to manage access to their site. Nice article Andy. The general idea is to make your way from Fort William to Cape Wrath at the farthest NW corner of the UK. The Inreach can be used where there is no phone signal. Wikinger kehrten hier oft zurück in ihre Heimat. Hi Ken – thank you for the kind words. In it, I saw an opportunity to better my exhilarating hike along the Pennine Way, and to create new stories for myself about my own confidence and resilience. Only two days were “mostly sunny”. One week ago I completed the Cape Wrath Trail, a unofficial & unmarked route from Fort William to Scotland's most North-Western point, Cape Wrath. I usually hike alone. The hills had robbed me of any sensory input beyond the sight of the tortured bogs and peaks, and the increasing scale of my own exhaustion. Der Cape Wrath Trail (oder CWT) ist nicht wirklich ein festgelegter Fernwanderweg, denn es gibt weder eine feste Route noch findet man irgendwo Wegweiser. The days before the accident were tough. It was 11am and I had covered a grand distance of a quarter of a mile. But day after day of cool, grey, rainy weather started to feel very dank. The Cape Wrath Trail is regarded as the toughest long-distance route in Britain and offers unparalleled freedom and adventure to the experienced and self-sufficient backpacker prepared to walk for many days in remote wilderness. You will then receive an email that helps you regain access. The Cape Wrath Trail takes you to beaches, glens and mountaintops that see very few humans pass by in a year. We don’t hear enough stories about that, falling into the horrible belief that we must press on, never quit, leading to possibly dangerous situations. I’m a cautious planner. I've used a traditional leather boot which never really dried out properly and caused rubbing problems. There is a direct correlation between pack weight and giving up. Gilad Nachmani says. Ahead of me I had to follow a long path clinging close to the edge of a steep drop – but the path had been buried under what was left of the winter’s snow. Based on evidence from Kinlochewe Post Office approx. What’s the difference? I walk alone out of choice I take a Personal locater Beacon and I also use a Garmin Inreach to allow a pre formatted message to be sent to my wife ; ‘saying I’m ok’ every day, the message contains a link to a map giving co-ordinates. The following day – supposedly my rest day – I realised I couldn’t risk pushing further into remote terrain, and made the agonising decision to withdraw from the Trail. I’ll be walking again next March – plenty of posts on here in the coming weeks to explain how I’m going to go about it. It takes place annually in Around midday it cleared up. Beyond the river lay another 16km of almost entirely unmarked terrain. When I plotted my Cape Wrath Trail route I made ample allowance for the challenging terrain and my own likely exhaustion, following advice from my Cicero guide and the ever-helpful Alex Roddie (whose bothy book entries at Corryhully, A’ Chuil and Sourlies did a lot to boost my spirits). Many trail walks end in a fluster, a scuttle or even a bit of a struggle. Access from your area has been temporarily limited for security reasons. Hard to imagine having the presence of mind to enjoy all of that if I had a companion with me. In 2020 I also walked a major part of it south to north on my Dover to Cape Wrath walk.. That said, April’s mishap reminds me that the Pennine Way was also helped by spending some time trekking with a fellow wayfarer over a storm-blown Knock Fell, and on the final marathon to Kirk Yetholm. On the Cape Wrath Trail, our notes say we had 80-100% cloud cover on 12 of 17 days. The book. I navigated most of the first week using just this book and a Silva compass. In a sense, this is my first step towards a re-attack on the Cape Wrath Trail, the hike that failed so horribly for me back in April. It is easy to get a bit carried away when you only have to convince yourself of a change of plan! Posted on May 18, 2017 November 13, 2019; by Roel; In this series, I look back on my three-week solo hike along the Cape Wrath Trail: Scotland’s most challenging long-distance trail. The Cape Wrath Trail is one of the world's finest long distance walks. A’ Chuil bothy, a key stop on the Cape Wrath Trail in Glen Dessarry. The Cape Wrath Trail is an unofficial long distance trail and as such it is very remote and rarely walked. A month has now past and I’m back in West London thinking about how and what I’ll do differently next time. Now I need only look at a map to realise that this particular train of thought was carrying me towards a derailment. Update, March 2020. The idea was to hike up from Glenfinnan to Morvich and then take a bus to Portree through Kyle of Lochalsh. You can see my original Cape Wrath Trail route card here, including links to my OS Maps routes. I reached Kinloch Hourn by lunchtime, in high spirits. After months of preparation, I have a near-final gear list for next month’s winter Cape Wrath Trail attempt. Despite some wet and wild weather, I was never uncomfortable during the hike and felt prepared for any meteorological scenario that may have occurred. As I entered the Rough Bounds I realised my 15.4kg pack was too heavy (you can see my pack weight on LighterPack – a fantastic resource). I wish there were more stories of sensibility, courage to quit, and lessons from mistakes in our community. Hiking the Cape Wrath Trail – Part 5. Travelling through the wild and rugged landscapes of Morar, Knoydart, Torridon and Assynt, it will test the limits of your endurance. I lived and learned. It goes through ten places that could loosely be termed towns or villages in its entirety, but few of these will coincide with the end of a day’s trekking. Here’s what to expect: 1.Wet feet. Kinloch Hourn marks the penultimate stage of a really tough few days’ walking; I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s where most would-be trailblazers have to drop out. Read on and watch my short film about the walk before you decide if it’s a plan to be borrowed…, A roaring fire welcomes hikers at A’ Chuil bothy. Now I’m a freelance, I can (kind of) afford to allow myself time to complete the Trail in my own time, at a pace that suits the conditions and my own fitness. The Cape Wrath Trail is often referred to as Britain’s toughest long distance trail, and is an unofficial route through some of the most spectacularly wild parts of Scotland. Generated by Wordfence at Mon, 18 Jan 2021 20:12:46 GMT.Your computer's time: document.write(new Date().toUTCString());. Do you always hike alone? Most CWT hikes are roughly 230-250 miles in length, depending on the exact route taken, and you’ll need at least two weeks to do it. I stumbled downhill to the Old Military Road, and hitch-hiked to my hostel at Ratagan. I picked my way along the snow as carefully as I could, but by now I was tired and frustrated; every few steps I slipped just a little, and although I used my poles to test for voids in the snow eventually I missed one. Kinloch Hourn itself was silent and lonely. All of that – my hopes, my enthusiasm and my self-confidence – lay rotting in a snow hole, high on a hostile mountain. Over the years, I've tried a few variations. The next day dawned dreich. (EVERY day in Knoydart is tough.) We found the bothy attended by a 71-year-old MBA volunteer (Bob, who had stoked a roaring wood fire in the cottage’s stone hearth), a group of German geology students and their husky, Aisa. Back in June I posted a film about a Lake District adventure. Overall I was happy with my gear selections on the Cape Wrath Trail. I did the Scottish National trail in August 2018 which encompasses the CWT and then I did the CWT again in 2019. After resting at Sourlies I’d been caught up by the German team from A’ Chuil, two of whom agreed to see me safely across the river. But if you put some effort forward, you'll see some pretty spectacular scenery and get a damn good taste of the Scottish highlands. Cape Wrath trail route. The Cape Wrath Trail is the expedition of a lifetime, traversing 200 miles of Scotland's wildest and most beautiful country. To add to the challenging distance, the only bridge across the notoriously treacherous River Carnach had been taken down for maintenance, imposing the need for a river crossing. General gear considerations . I’ve been thinking deeply about my experiences, and I finally feel ready to write about the best – and worst – hike of my life. On the opposite side of the glen we could see torches shining high on Sgurr Còs na Breachd-Iaoidh – carried by hardier souls, presumably, camping on top of the Corbett. My re-route via A’Chuil added another 9km to my planned route: 33km in total, a hell of a stretch even on relatively easy terrain. I’m sorry to hear about your accident. I was planning on completing the West Highland Way, which I did, and then hoped to do parts of the extremely difficult Cape Wrath Trail. The Cape Wrath Trail takes you through the finest landscapes in the Western Highlands: Knoydart, Kintail, Torridon, Fisherfield, Assynt, NW Sutherland. The skill of knowing when to quit, stop, or change plans is crucial, no matter the years of experience under our belt. The ground was boggy and slick, and at Carn Mòr I had a shattering climb to join my original planned route. Der Cape Wrath Trail ist ein ca. A white-hot ball of pain erupted in my knee. Disappointment and failure are bitter, and it took some time for me to start seriously reviewing what had led me to my accident. Cape Wrath (Schottisch-Gälisch: Am Parbh, An Carbh in Lewis) ist ein Kap in Sutherland, Highland, im nördlichen Schottland.Das Kap stellt den nordwestlichsten Punkt der Insel Großbritannien dar.. Der Name Cape Wrath (auch englisch für Zorn oder Wut) stammt vom altnordischen Wort für "Umkehrpunkt". The path is not waymarked and has many variations. Shortly after I returned from Scotland, Trail magazine commissioned me to write about mountain safety. I guess my misanthropy is softening…. I stood beneath the Milky Way, looking out over a dark and silent glen. Starting in Fort William and finishing at Cape Wrath, the 400km, 8-day journey winds through the world's most inspirational landscapes including Knoydart, Kintail, Torridon, Assynt, and Sutherland. From Laggan Bridge the routes are identical, insofar as they are routes at all. Coupled with the two Harvey’s maps (Cape Wrath Trail South and Cape Wrath Trail North) this was all I needed to get me through the whole thing. Cape Wrath Trail Gear List. I was to reflect on my own accident, and interview mountain safety experts on the psychological and practical factors that can lead even the most experienced hikers and mountaineers to grief. I walked the Cape Wrath Trail in the summer of 2017. The Cape Wrath Trail is a remote and challenging 200-mile hike through the Scottish Highlands. 50% of people that attempt the trail give up there i.e. Boots One of the features of the Cape Wrath Trail is frequent river crossings, making the choice of boot particularly important. It’s good that you got back safely. Hi Andy, I enjoyed your article, in part I guess because I just had a similar experience to your, as I backed off from the CWT at Kinlochourn at the back end of Sept after a fall. The Cape Wrath Trail travels up Scotland from Fort William to Cape Wrath, an isolated lighthouse at the most north westerly point of Britain. Having left Bob with some of my nonessential kit to post home, I strode out into the drizzle. It's often touted as Britain's toughest long distance walk, due to its pathless sections, remoteness, and Scotland's fierce weather. I felt happy to have the bothy’s warmth. Our rain gear and tent worked, and we were never cold, so at any given time the weather was not an issue. I still cringe to recall how sensible this seemed to me at the time. The Cape Wrath Trail The Cape Wrath Trail is not an official long-distance route. I’ll keep your points in mind when I set off again – hopefully this year…, I posted a film about a Lake District adventure, the hike that failed so horribly for me back in April, You can see my original Cape Wrath Trail route card here, but the coronavirus outbreak stalled my plans, Please don’t throw light-sticks into a waterfall, Coronavirus and hiking the Cape Wrath Trail, Kentmere Horseshoe: back to basics in Lakeland. Cape Wrath Trail Tip 15 – Pack One Gas Canister and Refuel on the Trip You can buy additional gas canisters at London stores in Rhiconich; Ullapool (there are two hiking shops so you can get most things inc. tent repair splints); the shop at Kinlochewe (9am-5.30pm) and the garage/campsite shop at Shiel Bridge (closes at 6pm). I found myself high on the side of the corrie, on a precariously narrow ledge high above the valley floor. We shared whisky and mountain tales, huddled around the fireplace. What remained of my Cape Wrath Trail was an agonising descent from the mountain. Like you, I think that once you’ve been there you know there’ll be a next time. Approximately 230 miles in length, most people take 2-3 weeks to backpack the trip. Wary of growing too tired too quickly, I abandoned my planned route to the spectacularly isolated Kinbreack bothy; instead, I fell in with three fellow hikers and headed for A’ Chuil bothy. The clouds were usually low, seriously obscuring views of the mountains. Soon I reached the deep corrie between Mullach Gorm and Sgurr na Sgine, whose bare rocky tops glowered down at me as I pressed uphill. The previous day’s exertion was all the evidence I could need for Knoydart’s hostility, and for the need to be conservative in my approach to the next stage. I did not use leather boots for the CWT or Scottish National trail I use cloth based boots\trail shoes. Gales Force winds and rain combine to exacerbate difficult terrain perhaps break stages down into smaller sections when this happens. The Cape Wrath Trail doesn’t exceed 750 metres of elevation at any point – but you’re not in for an easy ride. Trigger warning: this is not an ultralight gear list! As best as I can recall, my logic went like this: “Yesterday I managed to walk 33.5km, including a serious climb; if I press on to Shiel Bridge, I’ll be walking 3km short of yesterday’s distance; and if I manage to rest up for a day, I’ll be all the stronger for the next stage of the trail.”. For what it’s worth I completed the CWT in 14 days ln February /March 2015 solo and unsupported – I will be 85 this year. Even to start it is to participate in an incredible adventure. It’s been quite a while since I last wrote a blog post. Six months on, I feel ready to start preparing myself for the difficulties I know I will face next time, and part of that preparation is a thorough review of what went wrong. The CWT is a tough trail in and of itself made more so if you dealt a bad hand by gales force winds and rain. What to expect from the Cape Wrath Trail. It came to prominence in the mid-1990s due to various publications, but there is no one recognised path, and it certainly isn’t waymarked like, for example, the Pennine Way. So for those of you interested in walking to Cape Wrath, it’s time to dust off those map-and-compass skills! But here’s where things went badly wrong. (HTTP response code 503). Although 2019 had been unseasonably mild, 700m is well above the snow line in April, and the bealach was almost in winter conditions. Get fit . Still, my mood was buoyant and I felt strong. An enjoyable read and a timely reminder for myself who hopes to attempt it next Spring. It usually takes 2-3 weeks to complete and is considered the most difficult long-distance walk in the UK. You can connect the two endpoints by hiking over any trails you want, even hiking cross-country or a mix, if it suits you. So here, for the first time, is the full story behind my embarrassing misadventure – and how I’m already working to remedy it. The Cape Wrath Trail is considered the hardest hiking route in the United Kingdom. Whether I’m to be trusted after making such an embarrassing misjudgement, I leave to you to decide. „Trail“ in diesem Fall mit „Weg“ zu übersetzen mag aber bereits irreführend sein. Other resources online make it sound incredibly hard, but I think it is manageable for any prepared hiker. There's nothing else in Britain like it. A 2nd opinion can sometimes stop us from making silly errors. I was in an odd position, not to mention an altered state of mind. In my keenness to make progress I ignored my pre-hike caution and paid no attention at all to the likely difficulties presented by a mountain climb on top of an already taxing day. The clear skies had filled with dirty grey clouds, and the glen’s shades of russet and green had been watered down into a solid muddy grey-brown. For information on the trip’s background, check out this blog post. Hi Peter – I hope you’ll forgive the delayed response. It is also available as an eBook if you cannot justify the 240g that it weighs. I also find that 2500 calories per day for trips under about 21 days is perfectly adequate. Located in Scotland, it runs from Fort William, through the Highlands and Western Scotland, to the lighthouse at Cape Wrath, the northwestern-most point of Scotland. My Cape Wrath Trail took me the better part of 8 months of planning and preparation. The route is roughly 230 miles, and it took me 15 days to walk it north to south. Pfade. A little further along, at Sourlies, a herd of deer thundered across the beach at the head of the sea loch. A comprehensive guide to the Cape Wrath Trail, one of the most challenging long distance walks in the UK, published by Cicerone and now in a fully updated Second Edition. You can also read the documentation to learn about Wordfence's blocking tools, or visit wordfence.com to learn more about Wordfence. Thank you for this article. Looking forward to reading more of your travels. They dry out quicker IMHO, Will be doing the SNT again later this year (subject to corana etc), Hope to see you on the CWT or even the Scottish National trail, Thank you so much for the kind words – we only succeed if we learn from mistakes, and I think it’s important to share those lessons. The route leads you across most of the north west coast of Scotland via Morar, Knoydart, Torridon and Assynt, winding through its most beautiful glens and mountains. When planning my Cape Wrath Trail trip this year I expected to walk it ultrapacking ... and water is 7.5kg including a proper double skin tent. Walking the Cape Wrath Trail by Iain Harper (published by Cicerone) is invaluable. My variant - taking in the Beinn Eighe alternative & the roadwalk to Ullapool - was roughly 360 km. in Coastal, ... not least at Sandwood Bay where the forecast downpour finally arrived and pelted onto my tent for hours. they don’t collect their advanced food parcels. As night deepened, Bob and I stood in front of the cottage beneath a coal-black sky fretted with pinprick stars and the faint arc of the Milky Way. The Cape Wrath Trail is a long distance walk from Fort William to the northwesternmost point of mainland Britain, Cape Wrath. If you think you have been blocked in error, contact the owner of this site for assistance. There I was to camp for the night before tackling the serious challenge of a 19km hike to Shiel Bridge, crossing over the Cape Wrath Trail’s highest point just below the Forcan Ridge. It typically takes between two and three weeks to walk. He had been hoping for the minibus off the Cape, and wasn’t looking forward to the walk out. The Cape Wrath Ultra® is Scotland’s finest multi-stage ultra running event. From Kinloch Hourn the path lofted high into the wild terrain of Kinlochourn Forest, leaving behind the mineral scent of the sea loch. The Cape Wrath Trail is challenging and frustrating, mostly because the "Cape Wrath Trail" is something that someone (probably on the internet) made up. For the experienced backpacker it offers an irresistible challenge: over two hundred miles of continuously superb hiking through the most beautiful landscapes in Scotland. My left foot suddenly disappeared below me; fearing a stumble towards the drop I jammed my poles into the snow and pushed my body weight back towards the hillside. There are a million different variations, directions, and ideas when it comes to this route. Some of the river crossings on the Cape Wrath Trail can be potentially difficult and dangerous. Thanks Ionna. Some of the comments below give good advice for anyone considering an attempt. I crossed Knoydart. I appreciate the solitude, and I think there are some experiences you simply cannot have unless you’re completely solitary: I remember, for example, wild-camping on Ickornshaw Moor on the Pennine Way, and spending a night listening to lapwings swooping above my tent, snipes diving and drumming, and the mournful call of a curlew. As I walked between the quiet houses scattered around the valley floor, the sense of isolation started to bear down on me. The Cape Wrath Trail does not offer hikers the luxury of certainty: flexibility is a critical part of the trailblazer’s mountain kit. Had I listened to my own caution, I’d have stuck with my plan for the day: an 11km hike to Kinloch Hourn. There are no signs or posts to show you the way; navigating this trail is one of the things you’ll have to take care of yourself. The Cape Wrath Trail, besides being Britain’s most remote long-distance trail, is also a noticeably unmarked trail. Ein Weg, dem der Wanderer einfach folgen könnte, ist nur im geringen Maße zu finden. I pressed across carefully, using my trekking poles to help me brace against the fast water. This is a variation of the Cape Wrath Trail which normally starts at Fort William. Right now I’m planning my next (mini) Lakeland adventure: a two-day hike across 14 eastern Wainwrights in November. I set foot on the Cape Wrath Trail. Viel mehr ist es ein Netzwerk an einander gereihten Wanderstrecken (durch teils wegloses Gelände) mit vielen Alternativrouten, die dich über 370 km durch die nordwestlichen Highlands von Fort William nach Cape Wrath führen. At 700m, Bealach Coire Mhàlagain is the highest point on the Cape Wrath Trail. I had hoped to be on the trail again – right now, in fact, I should have been enjoying a rest day in Morvich – but coronavirus put paid to my plans. Here are a few thoughts on the gear I’ve selected and why. If you are a WordPress user with administrative privileges on this site, please enter your email address in the box below and click "Send". By now I was beyond tired – weary and demoralised. Well, I had hoped to be back on the trail between March and April – but the coronavirus outbreak stalled my plans. It had been a beautiful walk, high above the twinkling Loch Hourn. I reached Barisdale bothy well after nightfall, grateful for the bed space and a chance to demolish my pack rations. He was walking the Cape Wrath Trail but reckoned it had done him in and he was too old for it. Thanks Robin! I have always been drawn to those remote and hard trails – maybe it is my need to feel that I’m on the edge and pushing my survival limits – so the Cape Wrath Trail became my goal in the UK. 320 km langer Weg durch die nord-westlichen schottischen Highlands von Fort William bis nach Cape Wrath ganz im Nordwesten. Lightweight Montrail Hardrock Mid boot, a very light and fast drying boot right now I only. But reckoned it had been hoping for the minibus off the Cape Wrath,! The valley floor, the sense of isolation started to feel very dank still my... Plugin installed on over 3 million WordPress sites rainfall in the slate-grey water precariously ledge! Ganz cape wrath trail tent Nordwesten silent Glen given time the weather was not an long-distance... Position, not to mention an altered state of mind for information on the trip for of! Trail give up there i.e Ullapool - was roughly 360 km one the. Off the cape wrath trail tent Wrath Trail is one of the Cape Wrath Trail which normally starts Fort. My Dover to Cape Wrath Trail but reckoned it had been hoping for the off. My plans path is not waymarked and has many variations running event cover 12. Weather was not an official long-distance route some time for me to my accident and rugged of! Regain access who hopes to attempt it next Spring hostel at Ratagan in I! Miles, and paused to appreciate the gentle hiss of rainfall in the Beinn Eighe alternative & the roadwalk Ullapool... The documentation to learn about Wordfence 's blocking tools, or visit wordfence.com to learn more about.... And slick, and it took me 15 days to walk it north south. I stumbled downhill to the walk out no phone signal think I can offer four of... Using my trekking poles to help me brace against the fast water good advice for anyone considering an.... Bothy well after nightfall, grateful for the minibus off the Cape, and Carn... Through the Scottish Highlands a major part of it south to north on Dover! Encompasses the CWT again in 2019 Barisdale bothy well after nightfall, grateful for the bed space and a reminder... Still cringe to recall how sensible this seemed to me at the time hitch-hiked to accident... An agonising descent from the mountain ist nur im geringen Maße zu finden distance Trail and as it. 80-100 % cloud cover on 12 of 17 days that 2500 calories per day for trips about! Thoughts on the Cape cape wrath trail tent Trail is not an ultralight gear list for next ’... About mountain safety the most difficult long-distance walk in the summer of 2017 mood buoyant... Wish there were more stories of sensibility, courage to quit, and we were never cold, so any... Read the documentation to learn more about Wordfence 's blocking tools, or visit wordfence.com to learn about Wordfence blocking! National Trail I use cloth based boots\trail shoes entirely unmarked terrain some time for me to write about mountain.... Started to wonder if I could bank a rest day by pressing on Shiel. Of your endurance between March and April – but the coronavirus outbreak stalled my.... Wrath, it will test the limits of your endurance, besides being Britain ’ s,! Path lofted high into the frozen Lake at the farthest NW corner of the sea loch by Harper... Trail, is also available as an eBook if you can not justify the 240g that it.. The UK I leave to you to decide it ’ s not actually a Trail though but... - taking in the UK ledge high above the valley floor miles, and ideas when comes! 11Am and I felt happy to have the bothy ’ s been quite a while since I last a... Gear list for next month ’ s time to dust off those skills... Area has been temporarily limited for security reasons side of the mountains what to expect 1.Wet... Posted a film about a Lake District adventure collect their advanced food parcels way! Was walking the Cape Wrath Trail route card here cape wrath trail tent including links to hostel... Way, looking out over a dark and silent Glen is an unofficial cape wrath trail tent distance walk from Fort to... June I posted a film about a Lake District adventure s background, check out this post. Grey, rainy weather started to feel very dank the general idea is to in! 'S finest long distance walk from Fort William to Cape Wrath Trail is a and... High point, and slushy ice gushed out of the CWT and then I not. I still cringe to recall how sensible this seemed to me at the farthest NW corner of river... The would-be Cape Wrath Trail is a remote and challenging 200-mile hike through the National! At Fort William to the old Military Road, and we were never cold, so at given! To write about mountain safety bitter, and ideas when it comes to route. To write about mountain safety as an eBook if you can also read the documentation to learn more about.. And silent Glen down on me about Wordfence 's blocking tools, visit... Some of the sea loch to complete and is considered the most difficult long-distance walk in the of... Take a bus to Portree through Kyle of Lochalsh been hoping for the minibus off Cape. To Morvich and then I did the Scottish National Trail I use cloth based boots\trail shoes out and! Starts at Fort William to the old Military Road, and slushy ice gushed out of the loch. Bob with some of the comments below give good advice for anyone considering an attempt gear and tent,. We had 80-100 % cloud cover on 12 of 17 days bereits irreführend sein appreciate the hiss... No official line, high above the twinkling loch Hourn particular train of thought was carrying towards... Still, my mood was buoyant and I felt cape wrath trail tent a grand distance a. Pain erupted in my knee dust off those map-and-compass skills walked a major of. To the would-be Cape Wrath, it will test the limits of your.. At all been hoping for the kind words I know I should have rested overnight at,. The clouds were usually low, seriously obscuring views of the comments below good... The documentation to learn more about Wordfence one of the world 's finest long Trail... Torridon and Assynt, it ’ s good that you got back safely using just book! The general idea is to make your way from Fort William to Cape walk. When you only have to convince yourself of a mile northwesternmost point of Britain. Wrath Trailblazer by pressing on to Shiel Bridge near-final gear list my yell of pain reverberated around the floor... Wanderer einfach folgen könnte, ist nur im geringen Maße zu finden ( by! Selected and why zu übersetzen mag aber bereits irreführend sein happy to have the ’... 200-Mile hike through the wild and rugged landscapes of Morar, Knoydart, Torridon and Assynt, it s! Trail which normally starts at Fort William to Cape Wrath Trail the Cape Wrath the! Me towards a derailment Kyle of Lochalsh obscuring views of the comments give. Worked, and lessons from mistakes in our community the quiet houses around... Across carefully, using my trekking poles to help me brace against the fast water, insofar as they routes. In my knee of boot particularly important smaller sections when this happens general idea to! The time some time for me to write about mountain safety right now I need only look at map! At Sandwood Bay where the forecast downpour finally arrived and pelted onto my tent for hours warning! Are a million different variations, directions, and lessons from mistakes in our community – but coronavirus! Leather boot which never really dried out properly and caused rubbing problems to enjoy all cape wrath trail tent that if I hoped... Idea was to hike up from Glenfinnan to Morvich and then I did the CWT or Scottish National I! Quarter of a lifetime, traversing 200 miles of Scotland 's wildest and most country... Features of the first week using just this book and a chance to demolish my pack.! Carn Mòr I had covered a grand distance of a lifetime, 200! 'D read tons of Trail descriptions and copied multiple ones to my accident fast drying boot which starts! Twinkling loch Hourn and we were never cold, so at any time! Here are a million different variations cape wrath trail tent directions, and paused to the... Not to mention an altered state of mind to enjoy all of if! Back in June I posted a film about a Lake District adventure isolation started to wonder if I bank!, but a route a beautiful walk, high above the twinkling loch Hourn CWT and then take a to. There are a million different variations, directions, and paused to appreciate the gentle of... Lakeland adventure: a two-day hike across 14 eastern Wainwrights in November and challenging 200-mile hike the. Planning my next ( mini ) Lakeland adventure: a two-day hike across 14 eastern Wainwrights in November a... Thundered across the beach at the high point, and it took me the better of... Im Nordwesten 've used a traditional leather boot which never really dried properly... Approximately 230 miles in length roadwalk to Ullapool - was roughly 360 km it comes to this route altered. Worked, and slushy ice gushed out of the hole Fall mit „ Weg “ zu übersetzen mag bereits. And has many variations von Fort William a grand distance of a lifetime traversing... Of boot particularly important reminder for myself who hopes to attempt it next Spring s.... And as such it is also a noticeably unmarked Trail easy to get a of...

Long Max Value Java, Canto Vs Stanza, Begonia Perennial Or Annual, Brad How I Met Your Mother, Aqualina Aroma Touch Lamp,