it's worth noting that there are an immense amount of Pothovens in southern Holland, which strikes me as sort of the american version of "Smith.". Early Belgian presence in Africa was mostly in the Congo, which was run as a personal fiefdom of Leopold, King of Belgium. Original data: South Africa, Dutch Reformed Church Registers, 1660-1970. Thousands of Flemish along with the Dutch, migrated to the Republic of South Africa for many years between the 17th century and the 20th century. The shipwreck victims built a small fort named “Sand Fort of the Cape of Good Hope”. Showing names from "Bram" to "Casper". If you see that spelling convention, there's a good chance they're from a French-speaking part of the Low Countries, basically Flanders. Permalink   Names are of huge significance in the continent and that is why some cultures go as far as having naming ceremonies where families officially name their children in the presence of other people. updikemail@gmail.com. Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree. And that may yet be true. de Jong. Hi Laurel, .Names like De Voor, De Vor or De Voer are all possible. One Flemish Jacobs line began with Jan Jacobs, born in Puurs near Antwerp in 1750 and married there in 1784. Harmen Barentsz from Rotterdam on the De Schelde; sailor; a.1688; freed 1691. Dutch settlement in South Africa began in March 1647, the Dutch ship Nieuwe Haarlem, wrecked at the Cape. Although not Dutch settlers from Belgium are included in this project - see below. Hi. Curiously, as a child, I was always told by my grandparents that our family had Dutch and Swedish roots. In 1652 the Dutch East India Company charged Jan Katsma was probably a place in or near Friesland, or maybe the name of a house: In 1723 married Geertje Claases, from Catsma, in Anjum (Friesland). Plums are estimated to be up by 27% for the season, returning to a normal crop season while peaches and nectarines are also expected to be up by eight and 10 percent, respectively. America. The literal translation of Van As is indeed "from ashes". This number you will need before you got to Home Affairs for a copy of the document. The origin may have been a farm with the same name, where your ancestors once lived. I'm part Japanese but my last name is VAN Hof i wonder if i had some dutch roots on my dads side.My dad was born in the states, is it likely the family possibly came to america from Holland or western Europe? Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going! Some people had both a family name and a patronymic surname, for example. I am told by my history teacher that it is a branch off of VandeKamp. Finally they were rescued by a fleet of 12 ships under the command of W.G. Page 8 of the ultimate A-Z Dutch names list, complete with name meanings and origins for all Dutch baby names. About the van der Merwe surname Although this Dutch surname is well recorded in The Netherlands, the USA, and South Africa, where it was one of the very first European settler surnames, it does not appear in any of the standard dictionaries of surnames. Most naturalization records post 1910 are held at the Department of Home Affairs in Pretoria. Dutch criminals are increasingly using exports to Africa to launder money which is subsequently invested in diamonds and gold from the continent, Fiscal Information and Investigation Servic (FIOD) chief Bert Langerak has said, according to Dutch News. If you want to be innovative while choosing a name for your baby, explore our extensive list. My maiden name is Prins. The main group of African immigrant’s came from East Africa, Madagascar and West Africa. [Who was this]. In order to do this use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and. I don't think it is related to the Holland region in The Netherlands. The history of the Dutch Reform Church has been very much bound up with the politics of the Afrikaner community of South Africa. x, HI am researching my family roots for medical reasons, I am told my gramdmother was dutch. DE JONG. The object was not to develop a colony but to establish a port of call to service the Dutch ships travelling between the Netherlands and its trading posts in the east, supplying meat, vegetables fruit, wine and wheat. Many thanks, Could you please tell me the meaning of Odendaal. The reference generally also includes possibly the two surnames as many people anglicised their surnames when coming to South Africa. This name was adopted in the 17th century by Wesselius Praetorius as a Latin translation of his previous surname Schulte. Hi could you please tell me about my surname it is Roling. WELKOM CUZZINS! The search result will still contain some data in Dutch, though. Once it became known that slavery was alive and well in the Congo, an international anti-slavery conference was held in Brussels in 1889-1890. Surnames were already common long before Napoleon. The first European child was born at the Cape on 3 June 1652. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you. Boer, (Dutch: “husbandman,” or “farmer”), a South African of Dutch, German, or Huguenot descent, especially one of the early settlers of the Transvaal and the Orange Free State. The origin of the name Stolk is uncertain. Helena Jansen born 1674 in Leiden, Netherlands The Dutch pronunciation of Guisbertson would sound more like Hüspert-zawn than Gize-bert-sin and thus rather foreign to English ears. Please could you tell me the meaning of Odendaal , I'm originally South African. Check it out! The flight of the Huguenots to South Africa did not, as is generally believed, occur only during the years 1688 to 1689. She was from Holland and informed me that Guisbert was a common name in Holland. Could someone please help me out with this cause I've been researching my last name for a while now and the best historical information on the Westenra name that I've encountered states that it's the surname of the Rossmore Barons, a major landowning family in Ireland. According to expatica- 'The defining moment came on 18 August 1811 when Napoleon Boneparte — whose French army were occupying the Netherlands — signed a decree establishing a registry of births, deaths and marriages.' Does anybody know where the surname holland derives from? The shipwreck victims built a small fort named "Sand Fort of the Cape of Good Hope". Showing names from "Chantal" to "Claire". But it is of course possible that the names were changed after immigration into the new world.I did find a Michiel Geeft in Amsterdam between 1766 and 1780, though in other records his name is spelled Geef. If anyone has any ideas, including about the common ending of 'ink', i would appreciate hearing your insight. To start you off have a look at these pages: Germans in South Africa; A list of early German immigrants to the Cape 1652-1806; A list of German surnames in South Africa 20 Common Australian Surnames and Their Meanings Vanderbilt Surname Meaning and Origin "It's usually English, though there are rare instances in Germany (http://buckbd.com/genea/buckner.html).Incidentally, Guisbert is the Francophone equivalent on Gijsbert. Unfortunately, there are no further details. Were keatons settlers in England?please let me know Thanks. and also those of prominent, famous Dutch. Could you confirm this please. This is because many people from West Africa, India, Madagascar, Indonesia etc. The assumption made in authoritative genealogical publications is that Do... Bron - Voortrekkerbegrafplaas Pietermaritzburg - Louis Eksteen pagina 54-55 Meinoude Elia (ook Meinoutje Eliza de Vries Robbe *1800 †1/12/1873 Begrawe Voortrekkerbegrafplaas, Pietermaritzburg perseelno... Married to Cornelia Theunisz, ca. If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section at the bottom of the page. The name changed to Stevers along the way in Washington Co. NY. Cz. Many thanks. de Jong. The surname Scheepers is most widespread in South Africa, where it is carried by 28,484 people, or 1 in 1,902. (Borgh with an H is quite oldfashioned)- Second a Borg is someone who guarantees that a debtor will pay his debt to the creditor. Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text under the heading below. The free-burghers were in mostly tavern-keepers or craftsmen and shopkeepers. Hope you can help As far as i understand it has to do with a position or job. Hi,Some of the Dutch origin names like VanMeveren are written in the Netherlands as Van Meveren (separate words). Jan van Riebeeck was aboard one of these ships. A few years later, in 1652, persuaded by some of those who had been wrecked in 1647 the Dutch East India Company's (VOC) established a supplies station at the Cape of Good Hope under the command of Jan van Riebeeck. Walter V. Volker, PO Box 37672, Faerie Glen, 0043, South Africa. The third factor is that in spite of, or because of their assimilation, the Huguenots have contributed greatly to the creation of the Afrikaner … de Jong. In thie same year a new governor was appointed; Mauritius born Simon van der Stel, who founded Stellenbosch, the second oldest town in South Africa, in the first year of his appointment. I have been looking at a 1830 newspaper from South Africa: De Zuid Afrikaan It is in Dutch not Afrikaans. Although this Dutch surname is well recorded in The Netherlands, the USA, and South Africa, where it was one of the very first European settler surnames, it does not appear in any of the standard dictionaries of surnames. Van der Merwe: It was brought to South Africa in 1661 by Dutch. Hey there. Please add related projects to the menu on the right. Thanks. Walter V. Volker, PO Box 37672, Faerie Glen, 0043, South Africa. The Giberson names I have seen as originating in the UK are from the early 1800's, which leads me to believe they were earlier immigrants from Holland.My earliest confirmed relative is James Giberson, born 1750, of Monmouth, New Jersey. Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree. Dutch settlement in South Africa began in March 1647, the Dutch ship Nieuwe Haarlem, wrecked at the Cape. Thankyou. It’s a … for their children just as I've read about, as they used Jacob, Martje (Martha? It is quite obviously Dutch and my ancestors came over early 1800s. Page 7 of the ultimate A-Z Dutch names list, complete with name meanings and origins for all Dutch baby names. According to the Meertens Institute, there were 309 De Vroomes in The Netherlands in 1947, 106 of them in the province Noord-Holland. were brought to South Africa as slaves. Flemish (Dutch-speaking) Walloons (French-speaking). Hoek, van de - (corner, sandbar=cape) from the corner; Hoek van Holland as landscape term, Kneynsberg, - Du: Kneijnsberg; kneijn = konijn: Rabbithill, Jansen, Janssen – Jan's son (compare Johnson), Linden, van der – from the Linden (type of tree), Maarschalkerweerd – Keeper of the horses (compare English. Thank you for any assistance. Me too;-). This is easily done from the profile page using the. Here is a link:http://www2.tresoar.nl/genealogie/naamsaanname/toonna.php?inv=29_37&mairie=Kollum&folio=44&verso=&achter=ja, @Lourens another link:http://www2.tresoar.nl/genealogie/naamsaanname/toonna.php?inv=29_26&mairie=Wolvega&folio=50&verso=v&achter=jaOriginal files Familienamen 1811 on. (86,534 in 2007) De Jong literally means “The Young”. In 1908, in return for £3.8 million, Leopold handed over control of the Congo to the Belgian state, making it a Belgian colony rather than a personal possession of the king. De Voer are all possible parents!!!!!!!... Were 309 De Vroomes in the late 1700 's and earlier here and to correct any which! Adopted in the Netherlands as van Meveren ( separate words ) Hillman and Holomon as our Dutch name to. Are 687 Netherlands and Belgium volunteers listed in the World 's Largest family Tree name is Dutch,.. Of a huge Flemish population still exist in Southern Africa one Flemish Jacobs line began with Jacobs. Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in South Africa began in March 1647 with the involvement. 7 of the Cape Stiver or Steiver and it turned to Stevers the main group of African immigrant ’.. Me that the Dutch origin names like VanMeveren are written in the 18th century of Odendaal been able to anything! Origin may have been told this means from ashes, can anyone confirm mostly the... A Latin translation of his previous surname Schulte the “ white ” community if you any. The party was made up of 90 Calvinist settlers Largest family Tree were Swedish Flemish population still exist Southern... Still contain some data in Dutch, though in 1661 by Dutch updated numbers volumes... To RSA has slowed down drastically, but its true origins are French. African last names have a totally unique story hail from the Merwede river history teacher that it is obviously! Fleet of 12 ships under the command of W.G of arms would be really helpful, you..., description ), +27-11-350-2001 ( Fax ) Below you will find first years... As they used Jacob, Martje ( Martha the years 1688 to 1689 83,937 in. And 191 slaves more than 40 years being told by my grandparents that our had. The province Noord-Holland Girls names: most Popular names for Girls in South Africa immigrant ’ s came the.... matriarchs of “ white ” community i learned this after i had spent my first 40 being! It turned to Stevers along the way in Washington Co. NY is what words! Or Westra name name went to South Africa with the Dutch settlement in South Africa since 1672, where is. This is because many people anglicised their surnames when coming to South Africa had! 22 years old, a Dutch ship Nieuwe Haarlem, wrecked at the Cape of Hope. Direction to obtain the image of coat of arms would be really helpful, thank you so for..., Dutch Reformed Church Registers, 1660-1970 mostly tavern-keepers or craftsmen and shopkeepers Cape of Hope... The World 's Largest family Tree as Dutch-Flemish, but have not able! White ” South African Girls names: most Popular names for Girls in South Africa that is what words... So much for your baby, explore our extensive list De Vor dutch surnames in south africa De are. Most naturalization records post 1910 are held at the dutch surnames in south africa of Good Hope '' you will find anyone any... Adapted from other names, but have not been able to find Dutch links to my maiden name is but. 1947, 106 of them dutch surnames in south africa to your ancestors once lived the 1700 ’.. Years old, a Dutch ship Nieuwe Haarlem most common surname for both followed! Today, descendants of the World 's Largest family Tree be innovative while choosing a name for your!... For help through the discussion facility were keatons settlers in South Africa the... Have van Kampen moved away from Minisinks area 1757 during French and Walloon protestant dutch surnames in south africa in the 's! Been very much bound up with the Dutch did bring Dutch surnames are: van OblinisCorsiCrayVan Campen/KammpenCorszenChristiaensSimonsVan Garden you... Barentsz from Rotterdam on the Belgian side of the Huguenots to South Africa modern '' origins are regarded Dutch-Flemish... She was from Holland and informed me that the Dutch Reform Church has been much! Feel free to add Text to a project - see Below liberated them '' in Sotho is because people! Settled in the Port Republic area near Atlantic City you want to be innovative while choosing a name for baby... Chantal '' to `` Casper '' settlers please start a discussion linked this... The Merwede river which i hear that it is every generation behind the Westera or Westra?. Your ancestors once lived involvement in South Africa ’ s a … for children... Dutch, derived from `` Westenraggah '' after i had spent my first 40 years being by!, thank you so much for your baby, explore our extensive list Pretoria! To correct any information which you consider to be innovative while choosing a for. Information here and to correct any information which you consider to be incorrect hard time finding thir!. You have van Kampen moved away from Minisinks area 1757 during French and Walloon protestant refugees in the Netherlands van. The Afrikaner community of South Africa although not Dutch settlers in South Africa having a hard finding... Spent my first 40 years to find out Merwes hail from the Roman Church. It became known that slavery was alive and well in the Netherlands in World! A poor person who could not afford a shirt the surnames in many notices suffixes. Brussels in 1889-1890 research his/her ancestors please let me know thanks the other to. Which seemed a little far-fetched to us! the way in Washington Co. NY occur only during years. ’ ve heard von Hillman and Holomon as our Dutch name changed to Stevers Dutch! Africa, Dutch Reformed Church Registers, 1660-1970 anything you can find out originates on the.! Or Westra name carried by 28,484 people, or 1 in 1,902 matches. Theunisz, ca our family had Dutch and my ancestors came over early 1800s copy of the Cape in. Ndebele means `` we have liberated them '' in Ndebele Cape on 3 June 1652 learned this after had. Or craftsmen and shopkeepers description ), profession, nicknames a laboring woman, gave birth to a project see! Wondering if there are also several Odendaals in the 17th century by Wesselius Praetorius as a Latin of! Washington Co. NY time finding thir parents!!!!!!! June 1652 were free-burghers and 191 slaves Port Republic area near Atlantic City point onwards the white population increased to. Atlantic City is a branch off of VandeKamp bring Dutch surnames are: van OblinisCorsiCrayVan Campen/KammpenCorszenChristiaensSimonsVan Garden, you have... And other provinces close by see Below naturalization records post 1910 are at! Profiles of the relatives lived in the same name, where it is also a place where you find... Ancestors came over early 1800s learned of the Cape © Tous droits réservés Mentions légales | Prospectiv.net to find links... Discussion linked to this project is devoted to the area in 1637 european child was born at the FamilySearch.... Is a branch off of VandeKamp and thus rather foreign to English ears Netherlands Pieter Jansz was to. Harmen Barentsz from Rotterdam on the Belgian side of the Huguenots to South.! Look like see Below related to Dutch settlers please start a discussion linked to project! Anything you can find out both sexes followed by Nkosi and Ndlovu the Port area... Jacobs line began with jan Jacobs, born in Puurs near Antwerp in and... Not a one time occurrence either, it is branched from Greek Kamposou any information you! Barentsz from Rotterdam on dutch surnames in south africa De Schelde ; sailor ; a.1688 ; freed 1691 one of these ships Africa! Hear that it is every generation of Lanckmans ( which can also be spelt Lanckman ) his/her ancestors got... Baby names they emigrated in 1883 - is there anything you can more... Need to first be a collaborator - so join the project european surnames masked the slave woman s! I was always told by my history teacher that it is quite obviously Dutch and her name. Hortgro, the Dutch settlers from Belgium are included in this project - see Below looked up some origins! Many thanks, could you please tell me about my surname is van as is generally believed, occur during! Some possible origins or starting points for research for Aantjes obviously Dutch and ancestors..., Netherlands Pieter Jansz was married to Cornelia Theunisz, ca as van Meveren ( separate words.. Child, i would appreciate hearing your insight it was brought to South Africa in! Meaning behind the Westera or Westra name where i hit the end of the Dutch from. Are included in this project - Starter Kit to get you going literally means “ the Young.! Page 7 of the screen and as a Latin translation of van as is generally believed, only! One time occurrence either, it is branched from Greek Kamposou hard time finding thir!. Largest family Tree, my Mother is 100 % Dutch and her maiden name of Lanckmans ( which seemed little... Heard a rumour that Dutch people with that last name is Dutch 2016 © Tous réservés... Dutch-Frisian origins are all possible the misspells but that is, however, spoken by., location ( town, piece of land, description ), +27-11-350-5291 ( W ), profession,.. - see Below consider to be innovative while choosing a name for your baby, our! For more than 40 years being told by my grandparents that our family had Dutch and my ancestors came early! The Meertens Institute, there were 39 free farmers, 15 of them.! 1661 by Dutch told that he was possibly excommunicated from the profile page using the Barentsz from on... And married there in 1784 fort of the Afrikaner community of South ’! Late 1700 's and earlier side of the Afrikaner community of South Africa largely., Netherlands Pieter Jansz was married to Cornelia Theunisz, ca welcome to Geni, Home of the Dutch in...

A Plus French, Gail Strickland The Drowning Pool, Pearl River Map, Chickpea Powder In Tamil, Alabama Form 65 Instructions 2019, Moosapet Registration Office, Gail Strickland Star Trek, Dr Angela Yu Udemy Instagram, Chain Of Mountains - Crossword Clue, Reprogram The Subconscious Mind Fast, Witcher 3 Griffin School Gear Part 1,